Sunday 28 February 2010

2001 Clip Boards (Plan of Animation)

Reason for choice of film clip.

I chose this particular scene as it is one of the longest locked off static camera shots of the film which has potential for including 3D animation over the top. The reason for this is because almost two thirds of the frame are completely unobstructed. There is plenty of blue sky for me to animate a UFO over the top and no tracking or masking is necessary. That way I can focus my attention to animating the UFO well. I also love the simple composition in the frame with the ape in the foreground and the vast expanse of a desert landscape in the background.


Analysis of Original film shot. I thought that the best way to incorporate a 3D model and animation was to first understand how Kubrick setup the shot, taking in to account the use of lighting and its direction as well as composition.






Quick sketch of UFO Flight Path

Firstly I wanted to map out a rough flight path that the UFO might follow. I decided I wanted the UFO to fly towards the centre of frame then turn to the left and out of shot. I did not want the UFO to simply fly in a straight line as this would have been uninteresting and would not have allowed for any interesting and effective animation.


Quick storyboards of UFO Flight Path.



No comments:

Post a Comment